Wednesday, April 06, 2005

6:05 PM// Job? What Job?

Despite my presumed start date of April 4, I write this article now due to a disappointing phone call I received March 31. It turns out the federal government hasn't quite processed all the necessary paperwork to ensure that RTI will get their big government contract, which means, of course, that I'm destined once again to do nothing for a while. Alas, it is not time for despair; I got the job, I just can't start the job. For a while. Maybe never…but probably soon.

My new found emptiness is different than previously. Previously I knew I had nothing to do for a while and hence strategically placed inane obstacles in my life, such as web design for hire and vehicular repair. For the past couple of weeks I've been feeling a bit of the "ready, steady, …" syndrome as my adrenaline levels slowly increased in anticipation of my newly found busyness. But since I had not planned on not working this week, I naturally planned nothing else. So I'm left with a sudden loss of breath that's claimed my remaining scotch.

Classic time-wasters include working on my website, web design for hire, walking beija, & getting my car fixed. Frankly, I'm sick of web design. And it's spring. The outdoors calls, but only beija will answer. And besides, my laptop vomited a load of dust bunnies recently and the cooling fan hasn't been the same since. I have been considering embarking on a spiritual quest, but I'm not sure how much time I've got.

And herein lies the fundamental problem: I don't know how much time I've got. I may have anywhere from a week to a month before I start, so it's difficult to plan. Being the utterly broke, unemployed slag that I am it would be nice to find a short term project that might earn me a bit of extra cash. But then, how can you sign up for a job when you know you may only have a week? Or more; different frogs, different times. Oops, slipped into The Office references again. I must remember not to watch that show quite so many times a day.

Free time on the freelove freeway; the love is free and the time is long…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home